Yesterday evening I completed the first draft manuscript for the second book in my Melrose series. It weighed in at 83,400 words - a real labor of love. And now I only have the difficult part of the job left to do.
I guess most people who write 80,000 words would think the hardest part is complete, but that's really not so. Before the manuscript can become a published book it will have to go through the following process:
- Let it 'cook' - leave it and forget it for a month
- Perform the first 'sanity' edit on the book
- Send it out to some pre-readers for their feedback
- Perform the second 'feedback' edit
- Send it out to early reviewers
- Perform final editing and proof-reading
- Design book cover
- Design promotional materials
- Convert book to an ebook and re-proof
- Convert book to a paperback and re-proof
- Arrange publicity, press release, co-ordinate reviews and organize book launch
- LAUNCH BOOK
Phew! Like I said, the easy part was actually writing the book...
Okay, now it's back to the grind. Time to have a little celebration and take a deep breath before I get on with my next task. There's never a dull moment in the life of an Indie Author.